Program Name: Community-led Playground Builds with KaBOOM!; Safe, Great Play Spaces Designed by and for Kids at Westport
Award Amount: $500,000
Partner(s): South Baltimore Gateway Partnership and Housing Authority of Baltimore City
Project Description: KaBOOM! will build a partnership between South Baltimore Gateway Partnership (SBGP) and the Housing Authority of Baltimore City (HABC), engage community members in Westport to plan for, design, and build play spaces, and identify two additional communities for community engagement and playground builds.
KaBOOM! will also:
* Implement a one-day planning and visioning event for each community
* Implement project planning for each play space, where community volunteers work to raise local matching funds, rally volunteers, choose the playground design, assemble tool loans, lead media outreach and facilitate all aspects of planning.
* Build the play spaces by bringing together several hundred community volunteers to lead the installation of the play spaces in a single day.
* Facilitate training for community members through the planning process to develop skills in community engagement, fundraising, sourcing donations, and organizing volunteers.
* Evaluate projects using baseline information collected at the beginning of community engagement and by completing post-build surveys that track feedback on how play is being incorporated into kids’ lives using the new play spaces.